Match Reports 2012 - U14A

SAT 29TH SEPT 2012

Kilmacud Crokes 3-10 Naomh Barrog 4-5

For photos (thanks to Steven dAGG) click MATCH PHOTOS or visit our website Gallery.


Match 1 (Kilmacud Crokes 2-7 Kilcormac Killoughey 1-2)

Crokes got their Feile campaign off to a winning start with an 8 point victory over Kilcormac Killoughey. However the win was not as comfortable as the scoreline would suggest as it was only in the second half that we really got on top. Playing against a stiff breeze in the first half crokes looked a little tentative with some promising moves ending with a poor final ball. An adam kelly point was our only score in the first half and we trailed 1-2 to 0-1.

The management team clearly did their job at half time and it was a different crokes team that took the field for the second half. Despite some early misses the pressure was building and two points from ronan hayes got crokes back to within 2. A peter o'reilly 'special' crashed off the crossbar as the siege continued. With defence and mid-field on top more scores were inevitable. When nathan nolan finished a good move to the net the stressed parents and supporters could relax. This goal was quickly followed by another goal - a classy finish from ronan hayes. A couple of further points from nathan nolan and conor moran left the final score Crokes 2-7 to Kilcormac Killoughey 1-2. The feile campaign is up and running.

Match 2 (Kilmacud Crokes 2-8 St Vincents 0-6)

On a typical Irish summer's day (everything but the sun) - Crokes continued their impressive start to feile 2012 with a comfortable win against St Vincents from Offaly. How would our boys react to sleeping in a strange bed without their mother's to tuck them in. Not very well judging by the sluggish start we made to this game (had they all slipped out during the night and gone to the local disco, a ploy by the locals perhaps!) . Slowly we started to get into the match and led by the superb paul leonard ably assisted by deputies brian carr and the pocket rocket that is mikey mullins we started to win crucial 50/50 balls. A great pass from dan o'brien into nathan nolan - GOAL. This was quickly followed by excellent points from matt barry, eoin barr, dan o' brien and jack gallagher. Crokes up by 7 points. A superb pass from jack gallagher into eoin barr - GOAL. HT Crokes led 2-5 to 0-2, was that the same crokes team that started the match !!

Despite conceding an early couple of points at the start of the second half sean dunbarr and his corner backs were rock solid and a Vincents comeback never looked likely. Excellent points from matt barry and the irrepressible eoin barr closed out the game. Nathan Nolan proved he is human after all with a goal chance going inches wide. Final score Crokes 2-8 Vincents 0-6. Winner takes all in final group match.

Match 3 (Kilmacud Crokes 0-7 Clann Eireann 0-3)

Crokes qualified for the All-Ireland Feile Semi-Final with a win over Clann Eireann from Armagh. While only winning by 4 points this was by far the best performance from Crokes to date. A combination of a stiff breeze and heroic defending by Clann Eireann keeping the score down. Crokes played with the wind in the first half and slowly clicked into gear. Matt Barry was unlucky with a goal chance that just fizzed wide, however points from Matt (2) and Adam Kelly settled crokes into a 3 point lead. The defence when called on was rock solid with corner backs Jim Gibbons and Cian Ryan particularly impressive. Further points from Nathan Nolan and Jack Gallagher left Crokes leading 0-5 to 0-1 at half time.

At Half time the question amongst supporters was would 4 points be enough playing into a fairly strong breeze in the second half. The answer was an emphatic yes. An early Matt Barry goal bound effort came back off the post and this set the tone for the rest of the match. David Dagg followed up with an excellent point. Driven on by Peter O'Reilly who was everywhere Crokes continued to dominate and should really have been out of sight long before the end. Final score Crokes 0-7 Clann Eireann 0-3.



Saturday 5 May 2012

Group Kilmacud Crokes 1-8 Castleknock 0-7

Group Kilmacud Crokes 1-8 Raheny 1-5

Group Killmacud Crokes 4-5 Cuala 1-3

Semi Kilmacud Crokes 4-10 St Olafs 0-4

For photos of the 14s from the Feile Weekend click PICS and also HERE

Our first game in the Feile competition was against Castleknock who dominated the opening few minutes. Crokes soon found their rhythm, tacked on the points and then scored our first goal before half-time. The second half was well contested and Crokes held on for a hard fought win by 4 points.

The second game was against St Annes, Raheny who despite having lost their opener against Cuala proved to be a very tough opposition. With little of the ball Raheny led the game with minutes remaining but Crokes struck with 1-1 in a flash only for Raheny tobe awarded a penalty with seconds remaining. Much to the relief of the Crokes supporters, out hero goalkeeper made a match-changing save which turned the game to a win for Kilmacud.

The next game was the decider in a head to head with the other unbeaten team and host club, Cuala. Crokes roared into this game despite playing into a stiff breeze and led at half time before pulling away from the Red and Whites in the second half for a very convincing win. The confidence was really flowing now and all players on the panel had seen game time and had contributed greatly to the cause. A chicken and pasta lunch in a nearby hostelry with some physio for some wounded soldiers was a welcome 2 hour break. Our neighbours, St Olafs were the runners up from the Ballymun group and were our semi final opposition back in Thomastown. Crokes were against the wind in the first half and Olafs despite dominating possession failed to register a score including a crucial penalty. Crokes responded to the pressure and went through the gears to lead by 1-5 to 0-0 at half time. In the second half, the lads gave an exhibition of their skills and fitness and took control of the game. Tired limbs, happy faces on young men, mentors and supporters after a great day of sport - and the anticipation of more to come!

Onward to Silver Park on Sunday morning to support the KC Cs in the semi and then onto St Peregrines for the final against St Oliver Plunketts at midday to decide who would represent Dublin in the National Feile competition.

Scorers from Saturday were: Matt Barry 4-13, Dan OBrien 1-8, Ronan Hayes 2-2, Peter OReilly 0-5, Conor Moran 1-1, Adam Kelly 1-0, Jack Gallagher 0-1, Ryan Donnelly 0-1

Sunday 6 May 2012

Kilmacud Crokes 2-6 St Oliver Plunketts 1-7

We met on Sunday morning in Silver Park to support our KC team-mates in their semi-final against Castleknock (which KC won) and then departed in convoy for Blanchardstown. St Oliver Plunketts had a strong breeze in the first half and made a superb start to the game and raced into a 1-6 to no score lead before Crokes got off the mark. A half time deficit of 9 points was a huge task but Crokes got moving immediately in the second half to cut into the lead. The decisive goal came with minutes remaining and was arguably the score of the competition. The final minutes were spent defending our goal line with Plunketts going for goal but amid huge tension and excitement, we managed to hold on for a heroic win. Great celebrations followed on the pitch with huge support from the stand from our noisy supporters. Peter OReilly received the cup and gave a rousing speech. The team then stayed on to support the C team in their fantastic win over Cuala. Both teams then traveled back to Glenalbyn for some food and refreshments and enjoyed a great celebration. The boys conducted themselves with great honour and pride on and off the pitch and represented themselves, their parents and their club with great dignity and decorum.

Scorers from Sunday: Adam Kelly 1-0, Ronan Hayes 1-0, Ryan Donnelly 0-3, Dan OBrien 0-2, Matt Barry 0-1

Its onwards now to the All Ireland in Laois/Offaly on 23-25 June where the Kilcormac/KilloughyGAA club will host the team and we will play our group matches in Mount Bolus and Cappincur near Tullamore in Co Offaly.

Panel - Niall Murray, Jim Gibbons, Sean Dunbar, Cian Ryan, Tom Cordial, Michael Mullin, Paul Leonard, David Dagg, Dan OBrien, Paddy Flaherty, Peter OReilly, Ronan Hayes, Jack Gallagher, Brian Carr, Eoin Barr, Adam Kelly, Hugh Murray, Colm OSe, Conor Moran, Ryan Donnelly, Matt Barry, Andrew Kilgallen, Jack Keating, Michael Roche

Management - Declan Donnelly, Robbie Behan, Donal Gallagher, John Flaherty, Paraic McDonald

March 10th 2012

Kilmacud Crokes 3-8 Lucan Sarsfields 2-8

12th Lock

Kilmacud Crokes U-14As faced Lucan Sarsfields on a short pitch at the 12th Lock on a cold day with a moderate but at times troublesome westerly wind. When Patrick Flaherty caught the throw-in and moved it in to the Crokes forwards he set the pattern which was to dominate the first half. Within a couple of minutes Jack Gallagher and Matt Barry had got handy points at the cost of an opposition whose defence was slow to compose itself. Both of these players were to get further points in the following minutes and when Ronan Hayes got a goal shortly afterwards the sense of a Crokes' win was becoming unavoidable. A foul on Brian Carr gave Matt Barry the chance to add another point to his tally from the ensuing free. Then Ronan Hayes drove in another goal. By this stage almost all the players were in the Lucan half of the pitch with Crokes full-back Seán Dunbar looking forlorn in front of the square a couple of metres from the Lucan full-forward. When Patrick Flaherty got another point shortly before half-time the game seemed to be well and truly finished as a contest as Lucan struggled to put anything on the scoreboard. Even when they got a point from a free with a couple of minutes to go to the half-time whistle it was quickly answered by Paul Leonard with another point for Crokes.

A Crokes' goal from Jack Gallagher at the beginning of the second half suggested that the pattern of the first half was to continue. A Patrick Flaherty point from a free supported this impression. But then a remarkable change came over Lucan, perhaps partly in response to a lot of urging from their management on the sideline. Two swift Lucan points were followed by a Lucan goal and another five Lucan points in steady succession. A further Lucan goal raised questions as to what had caused such a reversal of the performance and fortunes of the two teams. Crokes' supporters were by this stage anxiously trying to tally the scores. A late point from Dan O'Brien led to an equality of points between both teams but Crokes had a goal too many under their belt from the first half, so that the final score was Crokes 3-8, Lucan 2-8. Nevertheless, one had an uncomfortable sense of Lucan having been beaten by the clock more than anything else. Quite a turn around, but Crokes' overwhelming performance in the first half underlined what has so often been seen at all levels of the game: a big score in a one-sided first half is difficult to reverse.

February 18th 2012


Kilmacud Crokes 4-8 St Olaf's 1-6

Kilmacud Crokes U14As faced Olafs on a bright day marred by a bitterly cold north wind on the upper pitch at Sandyford.

The throw-in was caught by Patrick Flaherty who supplied it to his fellow midfielder Peter O'Reilly. The ensuing Crokes attack led to the award of a 45 which unfortunately did not lead to a score. A number of wides ensued as Crokes' forwards took time to settle down. Eventually wing forward Jack Gallagher got a point from left of the posts ten minutes in. Five minutes later Matt Barry got another point, having now got the measure of the strong northerly wind. Things did not keep going Crokes' way though. Olaf's got a point 22 minutes in and a goal a few minutes later, with a Crokes' point by Matt Barry in between. Michael Mullin got another point with five minutes to go to half time. By this stage Crokes's defence was performing strongly, with great commitment from Brian Carr in particular. Ronan Hayes then got a point and a 45 to Crokes led to another point from Matt Barry just before the half-time whistle blew. The score was now 7 pts to 1-1 in favour of Crokes.

The next throw-in was broken down by Patrick Flaherty to Peter O'Reilly and Crokes carried the ball forward, leading to a point by Michael Roche. Two Olaf's points were then answered by a goal by Matt Barry. When a long-range kick by Peter O'Reilly slipped in under the bar the game was undeniably going Crokes' way. Olaf's replied with a point but to no avail as Matt Barry slammed in another goal having manoeuvred his way around a crowded square-edge to the left of the posts. The closing scores of the game were another Peter O'Reilly goal followed by an Olaf's point.
Although various players had good passages of play the most notable features of this game were the dominance of Patrick Flaherty and Peter O'Reilly not only at midfield but up and down the pitch also, as well as the procession of scores by Matt Barry. Crokes' three physically strongest players came up trumps on the day.

February 4th 2012

Silver Park

Kilmacud Crokes 3-5 Ballymun Kickhams 2-6

Kilmacud Crokes U-14A played their first league match of the season against Ballymun Kickhams on a heavy, muddy pitch at Silverpark on Saturday. Ballymun went on the attack from the throw-in, but not to best effect. Remarkably their forwards kept running at the Crokes' backs in an attempt to get through to goal and squandered four good opportunities for points. They got their first point from a free instead. Seán Dunbar in goal threw himself on a ball for a fine save. Pressure was also coming on Crokes in midfield and a number of kickouts were lost. Crokes management then directed that the ball should be kicked out to the sides instead. This paid off. Crokes first score, a point, came from a powerful kick by Matt Barry in the 22nd minute. Crokes defence was by this stage getting to grips with the attacks, with strong performances from Jack Gallagher and Cian Ryan in particular. Ballymun conceded a goal when a close shot from Ryan Donnelly slipped under the bar. Patrick Flaherty added a point. However, a Ballymun free ended up in the net at the far end to make things more even.
At the beginning of the second half a 45 to Crokes led to a point by Matt Barry. Ballymun pointed in retaliation. A 45 to Ballymun was frustrated close in by a very good block by Brian Carr, who by this stage was performing very well at full back. Ballymun wasted a goal opportunity by over-elaborating and in general, play was beginning to go Crokes' way. Ronan Hayes, who had been unwell recently, began to make a big impact, first with a point and then a goal. A goal by Matt Barry was balanced by one to Ballymun. Peter O'Reilly, who with Paddy Flaherty had for long been dominant at midfield by this stage, chipped in with another point. Also helping Crokes at this stage was their superior composure and discipline. A couple of late points to Ballymun were not enough to erode the lead which Crokes had built up, leading to a well-deserved victory for the home team.