Match Reports 2013 - U13


Kilmacud Crokes footballers  win  U13 Division 1  Title

Saturday  November 2nd 2013  Venue Ellenfield Report by Donal Smith

Whitehall  1 - 08    Kilmacud Crokes  3 - 09      

To view larger team photo click here

Hats off to our under 13 footballers who triumphed at a wet and stormy Ellenfield Park in Whitehall last Saturday   recording their first victory ever against a highly rated Whitehall Colmcille side in their 14th and final game of the season.

This match was a great occasion with both teams involved still vying for glory. Whitehall came into this match  unbeaten in their previous nine games with an impressive scoring average of 23.1 points per game. In their last meeting at Silverpark the two  teams had played a draw scoring  6 - 4  apiece. Both sides fancied their chances. A victory for Whitehall would have forced a playoff while a win or a draw would suffice for Crokes. We all wrapped up warmly  against the elements anticipating a titanic battle.

The first blow of the day before a ball was kicked  in anger  was struck by Crokes honorary  captain for the day Rory Smith who won the toss and elected to play with the strong wind.  When the ball was thrown in it became apparent that wind advantage was not about  to be spurned by Crokes .The entire Kilmacud team played with skill and passion. Although many Whitehall players  appeared  to have a  physical and height  advantage over their Crokes counterparts  this counted for nothing as the Kilmacud  boys flew out of traps.

After 5 minutes  of play Niall Comerford played in full forward Fionn O'Ceallaigh  who cracked an unstoppable shot off the right post for a  Crokes goal and the opening score . This was followed by points from  Peter Norlin (Free) and Padraig Purcell  who scored from a tight angle .

Mark Grogan, James Dillon and Niall Comerford battled effectively around centre of the park winning a huge amount of ball.  This effort  was mirrored by half backs Denis Murray and Daniel Kelly who hunted down every ball and Centre Back Colin Veale who was engaged in a titanic battle with the talented Whitehall Centre forward. Colin stuck with his man  like a limpet mine to a reluctant  battleship. Wing forward Anthony Quinn came into the game strongly as the first half progressed .

Whitehall being true competitors gamely pressed forward against the strong  wind  trying to register their first score but were met by an obstinate defence. Cormac Keys and Tom Fagan grabbed most balls sent in by Whitehall and    cornerback Dermot Jordan was giving nothing  to his man. Whitehall tried to run through the  Crokes defensive lines but were held back by a tenacious  wall of Crokes  defenders. Three  balls that did get through were  grabbed and cleared  by our Goalkeeper Stephen Dunne who on one occasion dived full stretch to his left to deny Whitehall what looked a certain goal.

The exciting game swung from one end of the pitch to the other and  Crokes forwards Sean Kinsella and Padraig Purcell were cruelly denied  goals by two magnificent saves from the talented Whitehall goalkeeper. With over ten minutes of the half left to play Kilmacud won a free 30 yards from goal dead in front of the posts . Peter Norlin sent in a high  kick which deceived the goal keeper and spiralled in just under the  crossbar for Crokes second goal.   This was followed quickly by two well taken  points from play by  Padraig Purcell and  a further Peter Norlin free .


The Second half promised to be a tougher affair. Manager Fergal Keys decided to use his strong and talented bench to full effect and was indeed  fortunate to have specialist cover for all postions. Pacy forward  Brian Morton and halfback  Rory Smith came in  for corner forward  Peter Norlin and left half back Daniel Kelly at half time. Shortly into the second Centre Back Colin Veale  was left concussed after a clash of heads and had to leave the field of play . Management reacted quickly and  James Dillon was moved  back to cover at centre back with centre half forward Sean Kinsella  plugging  the gap in midfield and substitute forward  Kevin Nangle  introduced  to the Centre Forward position.

From the throw in  Whitehall were playing with the wind and applying strong  pressure. Whitehall pointed  a free and then scored a goal with a high looping shot that crept in under the crossbar . This was followed by another quick point and the gap was suddenly down to six points. We were treated to a master class in defending from our full back line of Cormac Keys and Dermot Jordan with some exceptional  fielding from  fullback Tom Fagan who plucked  high balls from the sky for fun. Our new look half back line of  Rory Smith, James Dillon and Eddie Gibbons did not give an inch to their opponents in the 2nd half.The Kilmacud  forwards added their support to their colleagues in defence with excellent tackling to slow down Whitehall moves coming out of their defence.

More specialist  reinforcements were called in . Half -Forward Jack Conolly , Corner-Forward and Free specialist   Conor Kane and half-back   Eddie Gibbons came in for forwards   Anthony Quinn and  Padraig Purcell and  half – back Denis Murray who had all given  all-star performances  for the cause . It was noticeable  and a credit to team management  that every player introduced knew his own role and slotted effortlessly into the team pattern.

A point from Fionn O'Ceallaigh steadied the nerves. Then  O'Ceallaigh  used his strength and cunning  to meet a 45 sent in by Conor Kane taking one touch on the ground before drilling the winning goal to the net. It was a decisive moment which had  goalkeeper Stephen Dunne and defenders Tom Fagan Cormac Keys and Eddie Gibbons punching the air with delight in a display of team unity  at the far end of the field. A further Crokes point came  from Brian Morton who hoisted a cloud tickler  over the bar (nearly hitting a Ryanair plane en route). For all the pressure piled upon them Crokes had re-established their 11 point advantage  with 15 minutes of official time left to play .

Further points from Whitehall came  too little too late. A joyous occasion was rounded off by the introduction of the Tom Stakelum for corner forward Dermot Jordan  and James Kos for wing forward Niall Comerford . It was fitting  that all of these very  talented players who have played  key roles  for their club throughout this long  league campaign had an opportunity to contribute  to this great win on the final day .

O'Ceallaigh  punched  a fine   Conor Kane free  over the bar to put the Crokes supporters in party mood and added another to sign off on a great personal display.  Two beautifully weighted  passes from the  impressive  half-forward Jack Connolly nearly  yielded two  further goals but there was already  ample icing on our  cake. The Referee played Six minutes of injury time which would normally shorten your fingernails but not today.


                                Team Sheet              Stephen Dunne (GK)

                                Cormac Keys (RCB),  Tom Fagan(FB),  Dermot Jordan(LCB),

                                Denis Murray(RHB),   Colin Veale (CB),                 Daniel Kelly (LHB)

                                                Mark Grogan(M),            James Dillon(M),

                                Anthony Quinn(RHF),  Sean Kinsella   (CF),  Niall Comerford (LHF)

                                Peter Norlin(RCF),   Fionn O'Ceallaigh(FF), Padraig Purcell (LCF),

Substitutes Used: Brian Morton , Rory Smith , Conor Kane , Jack Connolly,  Eddie Gibbons,  Tom Stakelum,  Kevin Nangle, James Kos,

Scorers : P.Purcell (0-3) , F. O'Ceallaigh (2-3), P.Norlin (1-2  (3F) ),  B.Morton(0-1)

POSTSCRIPT:  The Whitehall mentors gave a very nice talk to the Crokes lads afterwards. They said they were upset and wounded but looking forward to next year. Many thanks to the Whitehall management team for accommodating a generous compliment of Crokes substitutions on this  special occasion .  It meant a lot to all involved  . Many thanks also to the Whitehall players for a wonderful sporting game .  Thanks to Team Management Fergal Keys  and Ronnie Murray and Mentors and parents  Michael Veale, Philip Comerford  and Barry Kelly  on a great achievement.  We then  retired to Glenalbyn and had a party. Thanks to everyone in Kilmacs for looking after us so well.  A big thanks to Samantha Keys and Orla O'Neill for all the goodies and to Ronnie Murray for organising the food in Kilmacs          DS


Under 13 Football Division 1  

Saturday Oct 19thVenue Deerpark   Report by Donal Smith

Kilmacud Crokes 10 - 08  Ballyboden St Endas  3 - 08


Kilmacud Crokes Under 13A Footballers kept their challenge for the Division 1 league title  alive on Saturday with a win against Ballyboden St Endas.

The rain lashed down at Deerpark shortly before throw in making for slippy ground and tricky handling conditions. Thankfully the  storm clouds parted before the throw in giving  us mild conditions for this top of the table encounter. Ballyboden  were lying in third place behind Kilmacud  going into this game and  hoping to chalk up a second success against the Crokes boys having already snatched a narrow one point win in last June's corresponding fixture.

Both teams started brightly with Kilmacud opening the scoring with a goal from corner forward Padraig Purcell and Ballyboden responding quickly with a goal and a point to  take the lead. However any expectations of a close contest were soon dispelled.  Peter Norlin cooly dispatched the first of his three pointed frees to level the game  and from that point  on  the Crokes boys  began to assume control in all sectors of the field.

The talented Ballyboden attack was denied any further scores in the first half due to a great defensive effort from Kilmacud and a little bit of luck . The Crokes defenders and midfield  not only shut out their opponents but also to a man played the simple ball well and often creating a platform for a succession of chances for the Kilmacud forwards. The work rate of all the Crokes defenders was first rate with a special mention going to Daniel Kelly for a  great defensive performance and the industrious  Denis Murray  and  the roving forward Anthony Quinn whose work rate vision and distribution were outstanding . An  assured performance from goalkeeper Stephen Dunne backstopped our  great first half defensive performance .

It must have felt like one of those days for Ballyboden. A penalty seemed to offer them  a fragile lifeline  only for their  spot kick to be saved by our  full back and penalty specialist Tom Fagan who dived  full stretch to his left to tip it round the post . It was a psychological hammerblow for the young Ballyboden lads when the  resultant 45 was blocked down by the ever  alert   Mark Grogan and then worked at speed  downfield to Kilmacud's  onrushing midfielder James Dillon who drilled a superb finish to the net.

Crokes were to add three more goals and before half-time with   forwards Padraig Purcell and   Niall Comerford and the very effective targetman Fionn O'Ceallagh all finding the net. This tally was supplemented by two exquisite points from play from midfielder Mark Grogan and further points from play  from O'Ceallaigh and Purcell.  Special mention must go to the gutsy Peter Norlin who manfully got up from an accidental  blow to his face to calmly split the posts with the resultant free and also  to  our mobile half forward Sean Kinsella who played a central role in Crokes domination of  possession.

At this point barring miracles the game was really over as a contest.

Half Time Score         Kilmacud Crokes  5-07  Ballyboden St Endas 1-01

Great credit must go to Ballyboden for their second half performance. They displayed skill spirit teamwork and a never say die attitude that must have left their mentors both proud of their young charges and also scratching their heads as to what might have been.

In a reversal of fortunes Ballyboden had the greater share of  possession in the second half and in a very creditable performance added Two goals and Seven Points onto their first half tally.

However Ballyboden needed goals and despite their  increased pressure it became apparent that they were not going to be let  break through an obdurate Crokes full back line. The strength of our big men Tom Fagan and Cormac Keys and the tenacity of our versatile  corner back Dermot Jordan and rock-solid centre back Colin Veale  came to the fore and they  dealt impressively with a stream of  high  and low balls pumped in by  Boden .

In boxing terminology the Crokes lads absorbed the pressure on the ropes and then hit their adversaries hard on the counter.  So it was that well worked swift counter attacks down field resulted in a further  brace of goals apiece for full forward Fionn O'Ceallaigh and  the blonde assassin Niall Comerford  and one more goal for Padraig Purcell to give us a rare  Hat-trick of Hat-tricks for those  three players. To put the icing on the cake  centre back Colin Veale ventured upfield to get in on the act with a nicely taken long range point .

Fresh legs gave a lift to a tiring Crokes team as Managers Fergal Keys and Ronnie Murray emptied the Crokes bench early  with the introduction of substitutes Jack Connolly,  Eddie Gibbons,  Tom Stakelum and Kevin Nangle into the game for Anthony Quinn, Peter Norlin,  Sean Kinsella and Fionn O'Ceallaigh and  the spectators thoughts drifted towards the grand finale against Whitehall in a fortnight's time .

Final Score                  Kilmacud Crokes  10-08  Ballyboden St Endas 3-08


                                                 Stephen Dunne (GK)

                        Cormac Keys (RCB),  Tom Fagan(FB),  Dermot Jordan(LCB),

                        Denis Murray(RHB),   Colin Veale (CB),   Daniel Kelly (LHB)

                                    Mark Grogan            (M),     James Dillon(M),

                        Sean Kinsella(RHF),  Niall Comerford (CF),  Anthony Quinn(LHF),

                        Peter Norlin(RCF),   Fionn O'Ceallaigh(FF), Padraig Purcell (LCF),


Substitutes Used: Jack Connolly,  Eddie Gibbons,  Tom Stakelum,  Kevin Nangle

Substitute not used : Rory Smith ( Rested)

Scorers : P.Purcell (3-1) , F. O'Ceallaigh (3-1), N. Comerford (3-0), J.Dillon (1-0),

P.Norlin (0-3  (3F) ),  M.Grogan (0-2), C.Veale (0-1)


Meanwhile  drama  was unfolding over in Thomastown Road , Killiney. Hot Favourites Whitehall who had trailed Crokes in the league  by only 1 point going into today's games were  leading Cuala by a solitary point with five minutes left  to play . At the death Cuala send a shot goalbound but  the athletic Whitehall goalkeeper  pulled off a great  save to tip it over the bar. It finished in a draw which means its  Whitehall – v- Kilmacud  Crokes at Ellenfield in two weeks time to decide the U13 league Div1.

Don't miss it folks.

U13 Football Division 4

Tuesday 14th May 2013   Venue Deerpark        Report by Eamonn O'Flynn

Kilmacud Crokes B 11-8 Naomh Barrog A 4-9

On a sunny Tuesday evening in Deerpark the U13 B footballers recorded a great win over Naomh Barrog. The Visitors came out of the blocks very quickly and the Kilmacud boys struggled to contain them in the 1st 15 minutes where the visitors scored 3-2. Our boys scored 2 goals from Niall and Brian on the break during the same period.

During the second period in the 1st half the boys started to get on top in midfield and our marking greatly improved which restricted their opportunities. We scored 2-4 in that period with two goals from Eoin Vs 1-1 from the visitors. Half time 4-4 to 3-4.

The second half was excellent from the home team with tight marking and teamwork from the full back line up to the full forward line. The boys scored 7-4 to 1-5 in the 2nd half with goals from Eoin (2), Tim (2), Liam and Tiarnan. Everyone played their part in a true team performance. Well done.


Saturday 27th April 2013 Venue Glenaulin Park Reporter Eamonn O'Flynn

Kilmacud Crokes B 2-02   St. Patrick's (P) 8-05 

Saturday saw us in Glenaulin Park to take on St. Patricks.
That was one very large pitch - Tommy said he was exhausted just looking at it!
We had a solid start, and Jack - still a relative newcomer to GAA was playing a blinder in mid-field.
We slipped behind by a few scores when Conor opened our account with a great free kick following a fine move by Owen Shearer.
We came under a lot of pressure from Pats again before half time, and they hit the woodwork twice in 2 minutes.
Crokes came out fighting after half-time, competing for everything and dominating the early minutes with a great goal from play.
Pats came back to score two goals, but we fought back with a fine shot from Cian that was saved on the line, and a long-range point from Ciarán.
A highlight was Owen burying a late goal in the top of the net after a fine first save by the St. Pats keeper.
A tough day at Pats, but some good moments to take away, and build on for the next game.

U13 League Division 1

Saturday 13th April 2013     Venue Nutgrove     Reporter : Donal Smith

Kilmacud Crokes 3-10 Ballinteer St Johns 0-08

Kilmacud Crokes Under 13A Footballers got off to a flying start in their opening Division 1 clash against a talented and physically strong Ballinteer St Johns side on a wet and windy day at Nutgrove.

Despite playing with wind advantage in the first half the Kilmacud boys had to endure sustained pressure from Ballinteer for the first ten minutes of this game. Thanks to a combative and dogged Crokes defence Ballinteer couldn't make their early possession count. The full back line of Cormac Keys, Tom Fagan and James Kos were repeatedly tested and stood firm. Our stand in goalkeeper Tom Stakelum was alert and dealt with all challenges with the calm assurance we have come to expect of him. They were given great cover in front by a determined and tenacious half back line of Rory Smith, Colin Veale and Eddie Gibbons with our midfielders and half forwards also coming back to help out. Notably corner back Cormac Keys bravely flung himself to block a goalbound shot close in and hard working half back Rory Smith covered back to clear off the Crokes goaline preventing a near certain goal.

At last Kilmacud broke free down the field and a nice passing movement put Anthony Quinn in on goal. He cooly drilled a powerful shot to the net. This was a goal of quality against the run of play.

Ballinteer responded with a point but surprisingly this turned out to be their only score of the first half. The Kilmacud boys began to take control of proceedings and put some slick passing moves together. Our midfielders Sean Kinsella and Niall Comerford began to come into their own and were aided admirably by centre forward Fionn O Ceallaigh who played a roaming role which helped steady the ship .

The strong Crokes defence was also evident in the work rate of our forwards with a special mention going to Dermot Jordan who broke up numerous Ballinteer attacks at source.

The Kilmacud boys got into the groove and started to pick off their scores with five well taken points from Peter Norlin , Fionn O Ceallaigh ( 0-3 ) and Daniel Kelly. The halftime score of Kilmacud 1:5 ballinteer 0:1 was well deserved and the margin could have been even wider.

However the second half was to be played by Crokes uphill and against the wind . There was a live concern that this potent Ballinteer side, who had been unbeaten in their Division 1 Qualifier group, would launch a fightback with the wind at their back. Team Mentors Barry Kelly and Fergal Keys didn't want any negative thoughts polluting their young charges minds and invited some parents (including this reporter) to hold their discussions elsewhere.

The Crokes boys started well with a quick pointed free from Daniel Kelly but were then pinned back and had to endure a Ballinteer onslaught. But once again the Crokes backs held their lines . James Kos Tom Fagan and Cormac Keys guarded the Crokes goal jealously and our half backs maintained relentless pressure on the forwards denying them time and space with some notable fielding from Colin Veale .

Ballinteer notched up four consecutive points without reply during this period but then Kilmacud broke up field working the ball cleverly into the irrepressible Padraig Purcell who calmly fired in a second goal for Crokes. This score was a mental hammerblow for Ballinteer and a decisive moment in the game.

The Ballinteer attack tired visibly from their commendable efforts and space began to open up on the wings for Kilmacud to exploit with well worked points from Fionn O'Ceallaigh , Conor Kane and Peter Norlin. Crokes finished in style when Conor Kane played in a lovely pass to set up Peter Norlin for the third Crokes goal.

Fittingly the rain and wind had stopped and the sun came out as the referee called time on a truly entertaining game. Well done to the Crokes boys and their mentors on a great team performance.

Great credit must go to the Ballinteer players who played in a very sporting manner with great spirit, skill and commitment and never let their heads drop at any point. They are very talented players and a credit to their club. Particular mention must be made of the Ballinteer fielding of the ball which was particularly impressive. They will no doubt be a force to be reckoned with in this league and there is certainly is a long way to go.