Mixed Championship fortunes for Minors

Both minor teams were in Championship action on Sunday 7 October 2012.

Minor A’s take Lucan comfortably in the first round of Championship

Kilmacud Crokes 4-10, Lucan Sarsfields 0-10


On Sunday October 7th in Silver Park the Minor A team kicked off the defence of their Championship crown against Lucan Sarsfields in the first round of the round robin, which will see them take on Na Fianna away and St Vincents at home. Selection of the team necessarily impinged on the B team, given the injury list, which included two county players Rob Murphy (broken finger) and Cian MacGabhann (shoulder), together with Conor O’Dwyer (hamstring).


Crokes were to the fore right from the start and it was evident that they had the edge on Lucan when within 7 minutes we were 1-3 to 0-1 up. However, despite our dominance and the ample ball being supplied to the forwards, Lucan’s defence stiffened and repelled a number of attacks on goal. The referee appeared to consider the Crokes challenges marginally outside regulation, which let Lucan recover the lost ground with five points from frees and only a late goal from Caolan Conway separated the sides at the break, with Crokes 2-5 to 0-8.


Despite coming out facing in to a slight breeze Crokes held the centre with Ross McGowan as a third midfielder showing that he has lost none of his touch, despite concentration on his County football duties for the summer (resulting in an All Ireland medal). Barry Horan bulldozed his way through Lucan’s star Sean McClelland to reinstate his teams dominance and Lucan were kept to only two points in the second half. Final Score: Kilmacud Crokes 2-10, Lucan 0-10.


Team: M Herlihy, D Corish, J Murphy, D O’Murchu, C Gormley, O O’Siuchru, C Devins, O O Ruairc, M Geraghty (Capt), D Keane, B Horan, KJ McGowan, R McGowan, C Conway, M O Loughlin 

Sub: N Gorey for C Conway (45mins) 

Report by Brian Geraghty

Photos by Diarmuid Ó Gallchobhair

Minor B's lose out to Sylvesters

Meanwhile the Minor B's had a more physical challenge against a big St Sylversters team in Páirc deBurca, losing in the end by 0-09 to 3-13.

Photos by Steven Dagg & Diarmuid Ó Gallchobhair