Under 15 Hurlers – kick off new league campaign with a win.

Date of Match: 5th March 2006

Versus: Ballyboden St Endas    Venue: Cherryfield

Competition/League: Under 15 Division 1 Round 1

Management Team: Pat Halpin, Daibhi dePaor, Fionan Moriarty, Tom Murphy

Match Result

Crokes 2 - 12 v Ballyboden St Endas 2 - 03


Crokes: Seanie McGrath (2 – 04 (3 f)), Jamie O’Sullivan (0 – 03), Mark O’Dwyer (0 - 02), Eoin Dalton (0 – 01), Johnny Brew (0 – 01) Matthew Kinsella (0 – 01)

Match Report/ Match Highlights:

Under 15 Hurlers – Crokes kick off new league campaign with a win.

On a lovely bright but chilly Sunday morning, the Crokes Under 15 hurlers started their 2006 league campaign with a well deserved victory over Ballyboden St Endas, on a well worn surface in Cherryfield.

Despite both sides missing a few players, both sets of players served up a good quality, entertaining match. Crokes started the match playing up the hill and against the breeze and opened strongly. Playing some lovely hurling, Crokes leapt into the lead virtually straight from the throw in when Mark controlled a lovely diagonal ball, turned & slotted it over the bar. Two minutes later Jamie added a point, having worked hard to win possession, he made space and hit a long ball over the bar. A minute later, Matthew won the ball in the middle of the field and hit it straight over the bar. Two minutes later Mark extended the Croke’s lead, taking another point from his corner position. Crokes were playing well and controlled the game. However, lack of match practice became apparent as Crokes hit a number of wides over the next few minutes. Seanie McGrath settled the boat, when he converted his first free of the game in the 14th minute and a minute later had a goal disallowed, when, after a mazy run, his hand pass to Peter went straight into the back of the net. However, he made amends for this two minutes later, when he scored another goal, and this one was allowed to stand. Crokes were in a commanding lead, but this goal seemed to galvanise the Boden lads and straight away notched up their first score with a well taken point, they took their second point three minutes later with a well taken free. Jamie and Seanie added a point each to their tally either side of a Boden point. Crokes went into the break leading by a goal and four points, playing well and looking in control, although the lead should have been greater as a number of chances were not converted.

Crokes started brightly in the second half and Eoin extended the lead when struck the ball over the bar in the 34th minute. However, three minutes later, Boden were back in the game, they scored a goal when Crokes failed to clear the ball convincingly from the backs and cut the margin to 5 points. Despite playing with the breeze, Crokes were not making most of the possession they had. Jamie added another point to his the tally in the 12th minute. But Boden, having won a free on the 21-yard line, scored another goal straight from the free in the 13th minute to cut Crokes’ lead to three points. Crokes responded well, kept Boden scoreless for the rest of the game and tagged on another goal and three points. Seanie got the goal and two of the points, one from a free, while Johnny scored the other point. At the final whistle, Crokes had nine points to spare of their rivals.

Although not the best performance this team has produced, it wasn’t bad for the first outing of the year. A lot of work will have to be done before the next outing against Oliver Plunketts on the 19th March ’06.

Kilmacud Crokes:

Barry Mulligan, Cian O’Brien, Paul Collins, Jack Doughan, Killian Doherty, Bill O’Carroll, Alan Carr, Matthew Kinsella, Eddie O’Byrne, Sean Murphy, Jamie O’Sullivan, Seanie McGrath, Eoin Dalton, Peter McCague, Mark O’Dwyer.

Subs: Johnny Brew for Sean Murphy at half time, Louis Whelan for Peter in 40th minute

Unavailable: - Naomhan Reardon, Darren McVeigh, Jack Kelly, Hugh Byrne.