U21s lose out


Goals win games we said after Crokes minor county championship final nearly two weeks ago. It was the same story but with a less favourable outcome on Saturday 28th November 2009 at Silverpark as Ballyboden edged this Dublin under 21A championship clash by 3-9 to 1-14.

To see a video clip (on Youtube) of Crokes' only goal - and another clip of the worsening weather conditions as the match progressed, click on the image of the video camera above. 
On a cold windless afternoon the fog came down and threatened to bring proceedings to an early halt. Given the run up weather wise, the venue was in as good a condition as it could be but quite sticky. After the first quarter the home team led by 0-6 to 0-2 and would have been further ahead but for the spurning of a number of goal chances. When Sean McGrath finished a Kevin O’Loughlin pass to the net two minutes later the Kilmacud lads looked well in command. The seven point lead was down to four in the nineteenth minute as a long Boden free found its way to the net. A Barry O’Rorke point, followed by a goal saving block from Gary McMorrow, seemed the tonic answer. In the event it was the visitors who kicked on and added three overs without reply before half time.
Click here for images of the U21s v BodenThree minutes after the restart Barry O’Rorke split the uprights to make it 1-8 to 1-5. The Firhouse Road lads immediately replied in kind and by the thirty fifth minute had hit the front thanks to a goal from Dublin senior Paul Ryan. Crokes courtesy of two points from Kevin O’Loughlin were ahead by the slimmest margin in the thirty ninth minute. Four minutes on Barra O’Leidhin snatched the hoskin from the air. His high ball was won by Brian Hanamy and on the turn the full forward extended the lead to two. 
To see images of the match click on the image of the camera above.
Sixty seconds later came what was to be the crucial score as Boden found the net for the third time and forged ahead again. Rob O’Loughlin’s long free conversion levelled at 1-12 to 2-6 with twelve minutes remaining. Within sixty seconds Ballyboden were back in front with a good point from senior corner forward Niall McMorrough. They added two more in the ensuing five minutes to go a goal clear, 3-9 to 1-12. In the fifty sixth minute Kevin O’Loughlin went for goal from a close in free only to see his effort blocked. Two minutes later he sent over another free from 20 metres. As Crokes pressed for the winning goal the Boden keeper blocked at the expense of a 65. This was also converted by O’Loughlin but it proved too little too late. 
As the clock ticked down a last gasp Crokes effort fell short and the home side ran out of time. For year end this was a very good match with high levels of skill and commitment on display from both teams. In a game that could have gone either way Crokes were best served by Barry O’Rorke, Ronan Walsh, Shea Gillen, Barra O’Leidhin and Sean McGrath. 
Team: Eoin Dalton, Shane McNicholas, William McEvoy, Gary McMorrow, Bill O’Carroll, Rory O’Carroll, Rob O’Loughlin (0-1, f-1), Ronan Walsh, Mark Coughlan, Barra O’Leidhin, Shea Gillen, Barry O’Rorke (0-6), Sean McGrath (1-0), Brian Hanamy (0-2), Kevin O’Loughlin (0-5, f-2, 65-2). Subs: Niall Mulligan for G McMorrow (53 mins).