Senior B Hurlers Win Opening Championship Game Against Local Rivals Olaf's

Date 6 Apr 2019
Home Team       Away Team St Olafs 1g 15pts 2g 15pts Kilamcud Crokes
Venue Pairc Ui Bhriain

Kilmacud Crokes Senior ‘B’ Hurlers started their 2019 Championship campaign with a hard-fought but deserved win over near neighbours St. Olaf’s at Páirc Uí Bhriain last Saturday evening (6th April). After a few early Kilmacud wides, Eddie O’Byrne opened the scoring with a point after three minutes. This was followed by an Alex Hatt point before St. Olaf’s opened their account with a point after six minutes. At this stage, Crokes were winning most of the possession and this was reflected on the scoreboard when Stevie O’Dwyer raced through to score an excellent goal after 8 minutes to leave Crokes ahead 1-2 to 0-1. A St. Olaf’s point was counteracted by a second Alex Hatt point before St. Olaf’s gained the upper-hand for the next fifteen minutes, reeling off 1-4 without reply to lead 1-6 to 1-3. During this period, Sean Garvey brought off a crucial save, which allowed the under-pressure Crokes team to stay in touch. Just when it looked as if Crokes might fall further into arrears, Michael Roche opened his account with a long-range pointed free from well inside the opposing 65m line. Further Croke’s points – two from Michael Roche and one from Stevie O’Dwyer, allowed both teams to go into the break level at 1-7 all.

Immediately after the resumption, Barry Horan scrambled the sliotar over the line for a Crokes goal. This set a marker for the second half as the Kilmacud lads never allowed St. Olaf’s to lead again. Three pointed frees from Eddie Gibbons and three points from play from Michael Roche were matched by six St. Olaf’s points. This left Crokes ahead 2-13 to 1-13 entering the last ten minutes. Although St. Olaf’s scored the next point, the determination of the Kilmacud team was exemplified late in the game when Mark O’Loughlin caught a high ball under pressure and set-up a move, which resulted in an Eddie Gibbons point. Shortly after that, Michael Roche added his seventh point and, although St. Olaf’s scored the last point of the match, Kilmacud Crokes ended up victors on a scoreline of 2-15 to 1-15.

Kilmacud Crokes:- Sean Garvey; Eoin Sheehy, Mark Lynskey, Paul Comerford; Mark O’Loughlin, Stephen Beale, Cian Ryan; Chris Hickey, Eddie O’Byrne (0-1); Dara Ó Gallchobhair, Barry O’Rorke, Alex Hatt (0-2); Stevie O’Dwyer (1-1), Barry Horan (1-0), Michael Roche (0-7,1f).

Subs:- Naomhán Ó Riordáin for Chris Hickey, Jim Gibbons for Stephen Beale and Eddie Gibbons (0-4,3f) for Dara Ó Gallchobhair (all h-t), Aaron O’Toole for Alex Hatt (51mins), Colum Ó Sé for Eddie O’Byrne (inj, 57mins), Stephen McEntee, Barra Ó Leidhin, Tadhg Dunbar.

Credit Edel Ui Ghallchobhair for Photos